This recipe is a delicious and healthier alternative to a traditional lemon pound cake! ❁
For the cake:
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour (I used wholewheat, but white will do!)
- 1 cup caster/white/raw sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or any oil substitute, except olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 2 medium/large lemons (or 3 small lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Half cup of dried apricots, chopped
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, greek yogurt, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, coconut oil, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder/soda. Slowly, fold the dry mixture into the wet. Once it is all combined, fold in the chopped apricots.
Grease a 9×5 loaf dish, and pour in the mixture. Giving the cake some time to rest while the oven heats will create a softer texture, as the gluten proteins relax.
Once the oven is ready, bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Remove the cake, and transfer it to a cooling rack.
Now, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until a smooth icing texture forms. When the cake is adequately cooled, drizzle the icing on top. Feel free to add chopped nuts, apricots, or pumpkin seeds!